Tuesday 13 August 2013

Bamford Edge to Stanage Edge with Bits of Everything

At the weekend I headed out today with some trepidation. The weather looked like it really didn't know what to do. And it didn't, all the time I was walking along Bamford Edge and the northern end of Stanage Edge. It was very Take Away Special, bits of everything, rain, wind, sunny skies, hot, cold and humid. The only thing it didn't do was sleet and snow. I was back in millstone country.

Bamford Edge from Win Hill Pike earlier this year.

My walk started in the Lay-by just before Cut throat Bridge on the A57 about one mile east of Ladybower Reservoir. I took the path about three quarters of the way down the lay-by which is a safer route down to the track at Cut Throat Bridge, rather than walk along the side of the busy A57.
 


 
 
The track heads up through a small coppice and along the foot of Hordron Edge. The track does take a slight turn to the left and up a steep slope. Once it levels out it brings you to a shooters shelter at the top of Jarvis Clough.
 
 
 
 
As you approach the shelter there is a double track off and up to the left, this will be significant later. I continued around to the right, heading west.
 

 
 
 
I headed across the northern end of Bamford Moor which has a slight rise before dropping down to the Pillars.
 
 
 
 
They call it the Pillars, plural, I could only find one pillar. Oh well, one is better than none. Win Hill Pike was clearly visible at the other side of the valley.
 
 
 
 
From the Pillars there is a vague path that passes along what becomes Bamford Edge. I say vague because of the second most significant natural feature of the day after the weather, Bracken. In places the Bracken was nearly as tall as me, it's gone mad, probably due to the weather we have been having. I did have a nice view down to Ladybower Reservoir.
 
 
 
 
Bamford Edge isn't as rocky as some of the other Edges in the area, but it has it's own character.
 
 
 
 
At Bamford Edge itself the Bracken thankfully cleared up and allowed some easy walking. The views here continued and the wind picked up. There is a bit of a kink at the southern end of the Edges. Off to the south east I could see my next target, the track along the foot of Stanage Edge.
 


 

It would have been nice to work my way through the Bracken from the disused quarry to the track, but the Bracken was too high to be safe. So I worked my why down to the road and turned left on New Road and around Bole Hill up to the car park at Dennis Knoll where I picked up the track.
 


 
 
At the right hand kink in the track I took a path over a stile to the left to take me up to High Nebb. The paths here are again disguised slightly by Bracken, so it takes a little care to keep to the path.
 


 
 
Part way up to Stanage Edge I found one of the millstones still lying around the area.
 


 
 
Once up to the cliffs below High Nebb I looked south to find I had an amazing view of the rock faces along Stanage Edge.
 


 
 
After a quick break I had my final bit of scramble and worked my way to the trig point on High Nebb. There are quite a few features of the area in view from here and make the visit truly worth while.
 


 
 
I headed north along the top of Stanage Edge towards Stanage End, the point from which I would be heading of the Edge.
 


 
 
Taking care to safely drop off the edge towards the double track I could see down the lower section of the slope. There are some poles marking this path so it is easy to pick up. But care is needed as the ground can be very uneven under foot. At the bottom of this track you meet back up with the point I said would be significant later. I was back to the path near the shooting shelter. A right turn took me along the double track back to the A57, and my car.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment